Monday, July 06, 2009

Architecture with Math From guardian.co.uk

The Chandigarh Legislative Assembly building in India. French architect Le Corbusier used, you've guessed it, Fibonacci numbers to create interesting geometry

From Here I am in a real world....


The GCHQ-Government Communications Headquarters building in Cheltenham. The aforementioned torus

From Here I am in a real world....


The Villa Rotonda, Vicenza, Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio. The proportions perfect whole number ratios like harmonics, giving rise to the phrase 'frozen music'

From Here I am in a real world....


City Hall, headquarters of the Greater London Assembly. Not just a favourite hangout of Boris Johnson, but also a distorted sphere

From Here I am in a real world....


Grande Arche de la Defense in Paris. Shadow of a 4D cube

From Here I am in a real world....


La Geode in Paris. A huge silver sphere

From Here I am in a real world....


the Grand National rollercoaster at Pleasure Beach in Blackpool was a möbius strip

From Here I am in a real world....


The Frank Gehry Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. An example of Riemanian geometry

From Here I am in a real world....


The Parthenon in Athens uses the golden ratio. To stunning effect

From Here I am in a real world....


The Sage Music centre in Gateshead is made from 27 pieces of a torus

From Here I am in a real world....


Egypt: pyramid

From Here I am in a real world....


Great inspiration sometimes comes from the beauty of Math

No comments: