Saturday, August 26, 2006

I can remember other’s name and how to settle

That seems a big problem for me. I am always admiring that other can remember the name of strangers newly encounter. Especially when the other first calls my name out, I can’t even ring the bell. I feel so embarrassed. Years ago after I read in the Chicken Soup For Soul, I knew it is very impolite to forget the other’s name and even bad impact in business.

Forgetting other’s name probably means regardlessness of them and even you think so, you may not like to pass such feelings to them. As we all known, it seems simple for people to remember those of bosses, lovers. Except that, recollection of names of uninterested people must be more difficult and forget them more quickly. Though in the same way, we also neglect the names of people we are interested in.

Such case makes me discourtesy and inurbanity, and also signs difficulty in further career. In business, forgetting is not a good beginning.

Lucy Kellaway from British Financial Tims tried to give some advices about the thing.

At first, you should try to repeat the name of person newly introduced to you. For example, Nice to meet you, John! How long have you been in BP(British petroleum), John? Such skill might be useful about I will not to attempt. It has something of personal style. It seems artificial and unnatural. Another way is to find an anchor to fix name in your mind, for example by features or partial tone. Or store all their information into PDA, for better recall in future in a cross references form. However, if you don’t have a PDA, it seems ineffective for you.

So I think the better solution is to improve memory fully, or begin to form an habit of remember. Try to ask yourself that is it really true that recognizing name is so hard? In the most cases, the reason of that people can not concentrate well. If trying every efforts to remember their names, things will be easier.

If we were in ancient Roman times, it is possibly much simpler. Usually the big man had a special slave called nomenclator, who would accompany him all the times and tell the big man who was coming up. But at contemporary the big trouble is where to find such good nomenclator.

Don’t wait for miracle. Try to intense the ability of memory, in my opinion, it is the only way to settle the problem

No comments: