Sunday, January 04, 2009

Lost and meditation

The last day of vacation, I finished the book "predictably irrational". Just as the author said in his book - "In the end, and with all my foreknowledge of the difficulty in this decision-making process, I was just as predictably irrational as everyone else." - according to the situation I am in, I think, most of the time, I probably make the same irrational decision.

Having interests in reading psychology or economy books, not only for interests, but also for the desire to known myself. I remember to think about it question while preparing for the GRE issue - "The most elusive knowledge is self-knowledge, and it is usually acquired through solitude, rather than through interaction with others." This is a kind of knowledge that you can only gain it by yourself, no matter from reading books or practical experiments, only after meditation of self indeed, then you can find it, which is so hard and might take a life time to search it, acknowledge it, which may be the reason the sagacious ancient Greeks inscribed the aphorism - "Know yourself" in the pronaos of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Even if you know yourself well, it is not easy to prevent yourself to fall into the same irrational behavior, I mean, routine thoughts or actions. If your life span is as long as vampire, you can start again at any time, if you want. But in reality, how many chances can we ruin in our life time? I remember the last time I felt lost, I ended up making decision to apply to PHD program without clearly solve the mess situation. Now encountering the same crossroad, what am I going to do, especially with taking into account the consequences of not deciding?

But there is one thing for sure, I will try to do something different, as my new year resolution, though not easy but worthy trying, and keeping myself on the journey of finding passion :)

No comments: